
(photo from countryliving.com)
My absolute favorite memory of the holidays as a child, really teenager, is cooking with my mom. I love to cook. My mom enjoyed cooking, but I wouldn't say that she loved it. She was a great southern cook though.
I remember standing right under her as she made the cornbread dressing and pecan pie every Thanksgiving. Those were always the dishes that I wanted her to show me how she made them. For years after she passed I was so sad at the holidays because I couldn't find the recipes for these favorite dishes...until a couple of years ago. It fills my heart to know that I can now make these dishes for years to come and always remember those days in our kitchen on Mississippi Avenue.
Here are my favorite Thanksgiving recipes:
Cornbread Dressing
Make homemade cornbread from self-rising cornmeal package
(Make sure the recipe you use contains 2 cups cornmeal)
Crumble cornbread once cooled
Saute 1 large onion, chopped, in 1 stick of butter until soft
In large mixing bowl mix ...
Crumbled cornbread
1 egg
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of celery soup
1 can chicken broth
1 t. poultry seasoning
1 t. sage
salt and pepper to taste
melted butter and onion
Pour into 9x13 baking dish. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes until brown and firm. Soooo yummy!
Pecan Pie
Pillsbury Pie Crust
1 cup light corn syrup (Karo)
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup melted butter
3 eggs
dash of vanilla
pinch of salt
about 1 cup chopped pecans
Stir all ingredients together in a bowl. Pour into unbaked pie crust and bake on 350 for 45 minutes. Serve a la mode!
Hope you enjoy my favorite family recipes this holiday season!

My fav recipe (actually dish) is sweet potatos :D I can never get enough of them.
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by my blog :) Hope to see you again.