Friday, September 25, 2009

New York, New York

I have a friend who went to New York this weekend. I'm so jealous! New York is great to visit anytime of year, but especially when there's a chill in the air. I've been to New York many times, but one of my favorites was when Casey and I went together. He had never been before, and had been dreaming of it for years. We did so much in the 4 days that we were there.

If you are planning on making it to New York this Fall, or Winter, here are some places I highly recommend you visit!

Have breakfast on the south side of Central Park at Sarabeth's and then go for a stroll in the park. Better yet, go ice skating if the rink is open! I like it better than skating in Rockefeller Center. The lines are much shorter and the view of the city is spectacular.

While you're by Central Park, stop in FAO Schwartz.

You must try the best reuben ever at Carnegie Deli .

Have a drink at The View at the top of the Marriott Marquis in Times Square. It's New Yorks only rooftop revolving bar.

Spend an afternoon at McSorley's Old Ale House. New York City's s oldest bar. Cheers!

Grab a cupcake at Magnolia Bakery. Most people know it from Sex and the City.

If you're in the Big Apple on a Friday you've gotta go to MOMA (Museum of Modern Art). On Fridays from 4 to 8 pm admission is FREE! Be sure to get there about an hour early to secure your spot in line.

Check out whose playing at the Garage in the West Village. You won't be sorry you did!

Watch the sunset at the Top of the Rock. We did this instead of the Empire State Building, because I had done it before. I could go either way on this one.

Of course you have to see a Broadway show. My favorite I've seen is Wicked. Make sure to get to Time Square early and have dinner before the show! I haven't found a favorite place to do this, but for a quick martini and some yummy sushi, grab a seat at the bar of Blue Fin. It's in the heart of Times Square.

My final suggestion would be a Carriage Ride in Central Park, if you've got the time and the extra cash. What a great memory ... Especially when it's snowing!

If you plan to go to NYC in the winter, I suggest going right after New Years. That is what we did. The Christmas decorations are still up, the city is less crowded, and the hotel rates are discounted.

1 comment:

  1. NYC is so much fun to visit. Or, at least it was before 3 kids! Last time I went we saw Wicked, and I agree, it is wonderful. And we always stock up on bagels. Others just don't compare!

    ReplyDelete