The mom I remember is from my teen years really, since she got sick my freshman year of college. I've always been sad that I've never gotten to do grown up things with my mom like my friends have done with theirs. We never got to plan my wedding, decorate my first house, or even have a glass of wine together. My mom loved some vino!
So the reason I tell you that I've become my mother is really a funny one. At about the crack of dawn this morning, after feeding Webb and making breakfast for my husband, I started dancing. Dancing around the kitchen that is. When I say dancing, I mean like tap dancing. Sometimes I don't think Casey, that's my husband, knows what to think of me. When I realized what I was doing I had a flashback to a Sunday afternoon in my childhood. We had just gotten home from church. My dad had gone to change out of his church clothes and my brother was outside probably stirring up trouble. My mom and I were in the kitchen, just talking. She was standing in the center of the kitchen and I was sitting at the bar. I think she thought she was on stage, and she just started dancing. Why? Because she loved her life. She loved her husband and her children and the Lord. Though she had a tough life, she was so happy.
My mom may be gone, but the memories I have of her are so clear at times. I realize as I have gotten older that I really only knew her for a short time. Thankfully it was long enough to know who she was and what brought her so much joy. It was definitely long enough to know that I am my mother's daughter.

Lauren, this was a beautiful post. Our mothers give us gifts that sometimes we see, and some that we just feel.
ReplyDeleteGreat post, I also lost my mother to cancer when I was younger, although I was 12. It is so interesting to me, since I too only knew her for a short time, that I find out (from my dad and aunts) that I do so many things exactly they way my mother did them...I guess its just built into my jeans because I don't have that great a recollection of her doing these things. I wish she was around to meet her first grandson, I know she'd be proud!
ReplyDeleteI love hearing memories of her...
ReplyDelete