Tuesday, December 1, 2009

24 Days to Christmas

I've decided to call this month's blog the "24 Days to Christmas". What better way to get in the Christmas spirit! Each day, if I can get my act together, I'm going to talk about my favorite Christmas memories, traditions, and of course, dishes.

There's no better way to start this months post then with a favorite tradition, which always began on December 1st. It's when my dad brought home the Advent Calendar, the chocolate Advent Calendar that is! I remember him coming in the house all dressed up from work, briefcase in hand, arms full of books and files and the Advent Calendar spilling out of his arms. It was the most exciting sight! He always got them at the same place, Shapiro's Deli in Downtown Chattanooga. Shapiro's was located right across the street from my dad's office. I always loved visiting dad at work during lunchtime as a child. He would usually take us to Shapiro's and when it came time to pay, say "put all this on my tab". I mean I felt like we were big time. Haha! It makes me laugh now to think about.

I'll never forget each night my brother and I would pull out our calendars to see what chocolate shaped treat we would find. I'd always get so upset though because sometimes my brother would eat three in one night. He'd try to convince me that I should do the same. I usually did whatever he did, so I'm sure I just followed suit!

As we got older, the Advent Calendar didn't make it home each year, but I've decided to bring it back. I got one for my brother and sister-in-law this year at Trader Joe's. They were only 99 cents! And I'm gonna go back and get Casey and I one this week.

What a great tradition to start this holiday season when everyone is so stressed about spending. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment